Jack Daniels’ book about running has a training plan that seems to be highly regarded.
- LT1 - 75% of maximum heart rate. ~145BPM maybe (for running).
- LT2 - Average heart rate for a maximum sustained effort for 1 hour.
- Trains your body to use fat stores as energy.
- Increases your oxidative capacity.
- Trains slow-twitch muscle fibres.
- You can speak a full sentence without taking a breath.
- Trains your body to use carbohydrates as energy.
- Trains your glycolytic system.
- Increases your ability to mitigate lactic acid.
- Trains fast-twitch muscle fibres.
- You can barely speak in this zone.
- Zone 2 is not a good place to train, it’s middle of the road and not an efficient use of time or effort.
- 80% of training should be in zone 1.
- We have much more energy stored as fat than we do as carbs.