- A quickfix list is a set of positions in one or more files
- A quckfix list is global. Not local to a particular buffer.
- A quickfix list is not the quickfix window. The window can show the list. The list is a datastructure.
- A changelist is local to its buffer.
0contains the content of the last yank
9contains the content you've deleted or changed
_blackhole register - send something here and it wont change any other register.
-contains any deleted or changed content smaller than 1 row.
%contains the name of the current file.
- In insert mode,
- Type any valid vimscript.
- The output is inserted into the buffer.
:&&→ repeat the last substitution command with its flags
:~→ repeat the lat substitution with the same replacement, but with the last used search pattern
q:- opens the command line window. Good for yanking and viewing previous commands
:<C-f>- open command history list
:UltiSnipsEdit- opens the ultiSnips file for the current buffers filetype. See which snippets are defined.
Delete stuff without leaving insert mode:
<C-h>- same as backspace
<C-w>- delete previous word
<C-u>- delete everything before cursor (on same row)
<C-t>- (un)indent a row
<C-e>- delete next word
gf- edit the file at the file path under the cursor (useful for netrw?)
gx- open the file at the file path under the cursor (useful for netrw?)
]m- move to the start or end of a method
@:- repeat the last command
>>will indent a line.
.will repeat the operation, so
>>..would indent a line 3 times.
You can use this along with a count, which will do the indention for
nnumber of lines (with the current line being the top line).
3>>..will indent 3 lines 3 blocks to the right.
<C-y>- up one line, and moves the cursor if it would go off the screen
<C-e>- down one line, and moves the cursor if it would go off screen
<C-f>- down one page, with cursor at top of screen
<C-b>- up one page, with cursor at bottom of screen
- The Valuable Dev has a lot of great tips.
- Vim for Python has some great notes on linting and code completion plugins that I've either copied or was more or less doing already.