As part of the redesign of this blog I wanted to make an article's category more meaningful. Previously, I simply picked a handful of categories and then assigned a single category to each post. This method becomes limiting when an article is relevant to multiple categories.
Also, using nested categories seems like a good way of grouping similar content and allowing more nuanced filtering of interests.
As I considered how to update the categories of existing articles, I realised this would be a good opportunity to practice analyzing and updating text files using unix utilities.
Here is how I reviewed and updated the categories of my existing articles:
I use Pelican to generate the static files for this site. It converts markdown into HTML. Metadata for each article is set at the beginning of a file, the title is set by typing
Title: ... and similarly the category is set by typing
Category: ... on its own line.
To locate, analyse and update my existing categories, I would therefore need to find all the markdown files which have a row that begins with
grep -h ‘Category:’ **/*.md- prints each search result.
grep -h ‘Category:’ **/*.md | sort- prints and sorts each search result.
grep -h ‘Category:’ **/*.md | sort | uniq -cprints and sorts each search result, then counts how many occurrences of each unique result there are.
I had some repeat results though because some rows had white space at the end, so in order to make these the same, I needed to remove trailing whitespace:
grep -h 'Category:' **/*.md | sed 's/[[:space:]]//g' | sort | uniq -c
This gave me the following results:
6 Category: 2 Category:Data 16 Category:Disintermediation 2 Category:Engineering 2 Category:Front-end 15 Category:General 15 Category:Startups 8 Category:Tools
Category is repeated and isn't needed:
grep -h 'Category:' **/*.md | sed 's/[[:space:]]//g' | sort | uniq -c | sort | sed 's/Category://g'
This gives me the following output, which is acceptable:
2 Data 2 Engineering 2 Front-end 6 8 Tools 15 General 15 Startups 16 Disintermediation
The next stage was to begin updating these categories with the new, nested categories. I've decided to try splitting the categories into technical and non-technical groups.
I can imagine splitting
Technical > Data even more in future, perhaps having
Data Science, and
Data Engineering as sub categories.
- Developer Tools
- Civil Engineering
- Not technical
cd into the directory containing the markdown files, and then to change all the articles with
Category: Tools to
Category: Technical/Developer Tools I did:
grep -l 'Category: Tools' *.md | xargs sed -i 's/Category: Tools/Category: Technical\/Developer Tools/g'
If I want to see a list of files containing
grep -H 'Category: General' *.md
If I want to see just the file names, then:
grep -l 'Category: General' *.md
Since writing this post I've modified the categories a few times. The commands I run to switch out categories are as follows:
export oldName=Lifestyle; export newName=Living grep -l "Category: .*Non-technical/$oldName" content/articles/*.md | xargs sed -i '' "s/Non-technical\/$oldName/Non-technical\/$newName/g"
- Double quotes are not the same as single quotes. You need to use them if you want to access variables or commands inside a string.
.*is a wildcard operator allowing any number of characters. It's required when an article belongs to multiple categories.