Reverse proxy server
- A reverse proxy is a server.
- It sits in front of other servers and forwards client requests to them.
- Is a middleman or broker on behalf of origin servers.
Usually used to:
- Increase security (keeping the IP addresses of origin servers private makes DDoS attacks much harder).
- Optimize performance (caching).
- Increase reliability (load balancing).
The client thinks that the reverse proxy is the end-point server.
- Also called a web or forwarding (normal) proxy.
- Sits between client machines and hosts.
- Is a middleman on behalf of the clients.
The server thinks that the client is the proxy.